Advisory & Consultation Phase:
Events Working Unit [Group B]
Focal Points: Outreach & Sustainability
8th October 2020
* The Advisory Group is made up of representatives from Public Cultural Organisations, Beneficiaries of Investment in Cultural
Organisations & the Gozo Cultural Support Programme, Festivals, Public Entities, Associations & Organisations, Lobby Groups, Cultural
Operators (Management, Education, Communities), Beneficiaries of the Malta Arts Fund Special Call, and Participants of the ACMlab
Special Series & Arts Reboot Series.
The following suggestions and/or solutions for the Cultural and Creative Sectors were outlined and shared by sector stakeholders during the Advisory Group session:
● The need for a comprehensive approach towards health and safety (for instance, with the prompt publication of guidelines), the provision of safe Government spaces, and a sensitivity towards pricing were outlined. Once again, the issue of a give-away culture of free products and services within the arts community was brought up.
● An emphasis on working for the medium in which the end product would be presented to different audiences is highly suggested and encouraged (rather than the current trend of working with one medium and airing it in another).
● Artists and art producers should explore new territories and communities while also respecting physical distancing and the respective bubbles, as well as explore new collaborations. A sense of unity and ‘cross-pollination’ across different sectors is very much needed.
● Arts Council Malta has worked on creating a level playing field when it comes to tax deductions on sponsorships / donations; it will also seek further clarifications, especially on whether such deductions apply to sponsors, donations, or both.